Thursday 31 March 2011

Digital Video - Technology 2



Moviemaker was extremely fun to play around with and surprisingly quite easy to use. For one of my teaching areas (Home Economics) assessment items for last year, we had to produce a piece of clothing from old op shop clothes and journal the process using a hard copy exercise book. Everything had to be hand written. Personally I hated hand writing everything, I felt like I was in primary school again. So, using the same photos I placed into my hard copy journal, I made a short movie instead. I found this much more beneficial rather than displaying it in a hard copy journal. I’ve provided a PMI thinking routine to support high level analysis for this technology.
PLUS
-          Encourages collaboration
-          Easy to function
-          Highly engaging
-          Caters for the 21st learner, using something like this will be meaningful for the learner outside the classroom
-          Extremely fun to use
-          Encourages connectivism and constructivism
-          Encourages creativity
-          Caters for the cognitivist learner
-          Assists communication of messages, ideas and information
-          Great observation and communication tool
-          The ability to imbed still photographs, audio overlays and videos
-          It can be shared online using YouTube
-          Encourages higher order thinking
MINUS
-          Students might not have the knowledge and experience working with moviemaker
-          Need an adequate amount of computers to complete the task
-          Not all students will have the equipment to produce a digital video
INTERESTINGS
-          It can be as unique as you want it to be, it’s your movie!

Suggestions on how I could apply this digital video to my learning environment:
Firstly, I just want to mention that these suggestions are targeted at my 2 teaching areas (HPE & Home Economics). Moviemaker can be used to display students work, the short movie I created is a perfect example of this. I displayed the process of reinventing a dress from 2 pieces of op shop clothing. In my HPE learning environment, moviemaker can be used to display different sporting techniques, for example, a student could film another student’s running style and then make it into a movie presenting the findings. Moviemaking could also be used for interviewing, for example, questioning a hospitality establishment on their health and safety procedures. Furthermore it could be used for giving instructions to students, for example, giving instructions on how to play the game of netball. It could also be used for classroom presentations and teamwork activities. Lastly, I think digital videos could be used for reflecting on students own learning regarding a specific task.

No comments:

Post a Comment